How does it work?
Acoustic pressure waves generated by the shockwave device is delivered into the body to stimulate metabolic activity and the body’s natural healing mechanism.
Effects of Shockwave therapy on the body
- Increase blood flow and forms new blood vessels
- Pro-inflammatory effect ‘reboot’ the healing process in chronic conditions
- Stimulate proliferation of tendon cells resulting in tendon regeneration and remodelling
- Disintegrate tendon calcifications
- Smooth trigger points (hard knots in a muscle)
- Reduce muscle hypertonia and spasticity
- Decrease pain
What can it be used for?
Conditions that will benefit from shockwave therapy are:
- Plantar fasciitis/fasciosis
- Achilles tendinopathy
- Frozen shoulder
- Tennis elbow
- Golfers elbow
- Rotator cuff tears
- Shin splints
- Lateral hip pain
- Any other chronic tendon/ligament problems of the shoulder, elbow, hip, knee, ankle
- Any chronic muscle strains
Benefits of Shockwave Therapy
- Short treatment time (minutes)
- Treat large areas
- Results in few (1-6) treatments
- Alternative to medication
Is there anything else I should know?
People not suitable for this treatment are:
– Women who are pregnant
– Individuals with any malignant tumours
– Individuals with certain acute injuries
A thorough assessment by a physio is required before shockwave treatment can commence.